The BWF has launched a series of E-Learning packages, in conjunction with the National Association of Shopfitters covering:
Introduction to BIM (1 CPD Hour)
This module has been designed to introduce and prepare you for BIM and its use with your clients and within their own organisations. The module will provide you with:
- The basics of what BIM is and what it isn't
- The process and levels of information within BIM
- The technical and ICT needs associated
- Changes needed to make BIM successful
- The probable impact BIM will have upon the industry
Launch the Introduction to BIM Module (log in to make this link live)
Contract Procedures (1 CPD Hour)
This module will introduce the learner to the fundamentals and importance of effective contractural and financial management of contracts from intital client interest through to the agreement and settlement of all final accounts. By the end of this module you will know:
- What procurement is
- How procurement methods can change responsibilties
- How to financially manage contracts and maintain cashflow
- How to deal with interim payments, variations, extensions of time etc
- The importance of full and factual final accounts
Launch the Contract Procedures Module (log in to make this link live)
Introduction to Project Management (1 CPD Hour)
This module will introduce the learner to the fundamentals and importance of effective project management of shopfitting contracts, explaining processes, systems and techniques used to achieve this. By the end of this module you will:
- Understand what project management is and how it can benefit shopfitting contractors
- Know how important effective and timely management is to successful project delivery and increased profitability
- Appreciate how the application of certain methods and techniques can improve performance
Launch the Project Management Module (log in to make this link live)
Pre-Qualification to Competence (1 CPD Hour)
This module highlights the importance of Pre-Qualification Questionnaires in gaining new business and the critical importance of PAS 82 accreditation in helping you do this quickly and easily. The module will help you to understand the importance of client expectations and will help you benchmark your business against it. By the end of this module you will understand:
- how to complete Pre-Qualification Questionnaires
- the standards that BWF members operate within
- benchmarking where your business is currently at
- the next steps to gaining third party accreditation
Launch the Pre-Qualification to Competence Module (Log in to make this link live)
Procuring Goods and Services (1 CPD Hour)
This module has been designed to introduce the learner to the importance of procurement within the business confines of a Shpopfitting/Joinery organisation.
On one side of the business model it is essential that the organisation wins sufficient work from a range of clients in order to survive and grow and on the other side of the model the need to procure labour, materials and plant as efficiently and cost effectively as possible to complete the works.
When you have completed this module you will be expected to:
- Understand the importance of winning work in the process
- Appreciate how to procure more work
- Recognise the core elements of production
- Understand the need to procure labour and materials
- Advise on how best to procure labour and materials so as to maximise business performance
Launch the Procuring Goods and Services Module (Log in to make this link live)
Setting Out (1 CPD Hour)
The aim of this e-learning module is to introduce the learner to the diverse role and responsibilities of the Setter Out on a Shopfitting/fitout/joinery contract.
It provides an understanding of the role of the Setter Out from project award, through the co-ordination of offsite fabrication and liaison with sub-contractors and through to site installation and project handover. In addition it also reviews the technical input required with the designers during the lifetime of the project. By the end of this module you will:
- be aware of the role and responsibilities of the Setter Out including the role during the planning phase of the project
- understand the internal and external links that are required to fulfil the role
- understand the sequence of operations required to evaluate a project and develop fabrication drawings
- be aware of the use of cutting lists and the material ordering for projects
- be aware of the role of the Setter Out in terms of managing risk
- be aware of the role of the Setter Out in variations to the works
Launch the Setting Out Module (Log in to make this link live)
Quantity Surveying Process (1 CPD Hour)
This module will explain the importance of the Quantity Surveying function within a shopfitting/joinery/fit-out organisation in the delivery and management of construction works.
When you have successfully completed this module you will be expected to:
- Understand the need and processes for winning work.
- Appreciate procurement routes and the various contractual arrangements that exist on works that NAS/BWF members are involved in.
- Select, plan and organise direct labour, subcontractors and suppliers needed to complete the works.
- Manage the contractual and financial aspects of projects that impact upon business performance in relation to cashflow, programming and execution of the works
- Manage and settle all final accounts associated with the project including project review.
Launch the Quantity Surveying Process Module (Log in to make this link live)