All our members have signed up to a rigorous set of standards of workmanship, company stewardship and environmental disciplines. Each member company is visited as part of the vetting procedure and is either confirmed compliant or awarded an intermediate endorsement demonstrating they are working towards full compliance.
The Code of Conduct includes an 8 point assessment:
- Customer care and response to complaints
- Technical expertise and training
- Environmental impact and waste management
- Sustainability: members must use their best endeavours to meet best practice and source from sustainable sources
- Financial status and stability
- Full insurance cover
- Clarity of contractual dealings
- Compliance with employment, health and safety and education legislation
The Code of Conduct describes expected standards relating to quality of service, manufacture and sourcing. It sets out the principles of good practice for a woodworking or joinery business. The Code represents the standard to which all members have committed themselves to achieving. The aim is to:
- Set a benchmark standard for the woodworking and joinery industry and help members to achieve it
- Promote and encourage standards and quality in the industry
- Give members confidence in their colleagues
- Ensure the BWF logo is recognised increasingly as a mark of quality, so that customers choose BWF members.
The Code itself is supported by a Guide to Compliance, which sets out how these principles might be applied practically to a woodworking or joinery business so as to comply with the Code’s intentions ensuring a consistent interpretation of the Code’s principles.
All our members are expected to commit themselves to compliance. If a company does not meet the standard, it is expected to work towards compliance. New members who do not comply on joining are expected to reach the standard within 12 months of completing their application.
For BWF Members, advice on promoting your BWF Code of Conduct Compliance is available here
Please note that whilst the BWF audits members against the Code Of Conduct pillars and works to uphold these standards, we do not under any circumstance assume responsibility or provide any guarantee for product or services supplied by members. In addition, as a trade association we are unable to resolve disputes but ensure our members have a compliant customer complaints process in place.