BWF Awards continues to celebrate outstanding talent and skill in the woodworking sector
This year’s shortlist for the prestigious British Woodworking Federation (BWF) Awards has been revealed.
The Awards, now in their 15th year, celebrate the best and brightest that the UK woodworking and joinery manufacturing industry has to offer.
Helen Hewitt, Chief Executive of the BWF, commented: “The BWF Awards always showcase the most forward-thinking and creative projects across our profession, and this year is no different. This year’s finalists have been responsible for delivering some truly inspirational and innovative projects.”
“We have had an incredibly high number of entries across all the awards this year, demonstrating the sheer passion and talent that our industry has. We look forward to showcasing the skill and technical expertise involved in all the nominated projects and celebrating the people, projects and processes that have really stood out this year.”
“The Awards continue to grow year on year which is why we have moved to a new venue this year. We’re very excited that this year’s awards will be held at The Langham – Europe’s first ‘Grand Hotel’ – a fitting stage to celebrate our industry’s achievements.”
The winners will be announced at the BWF Annual Awards which will take place at the prestigious London hotel, The Langham, on Friday the 24th of November.
More information about the awards can be found on the BWF website here. The full shortlist for this year’s award is as follows:
BWF Health and Safety Award – In memory of Jon Gibson
- Arden Windows Ltd for their ‘Root and Branch’ approach to Health and Safety improvements across the business.
- Central Joinery Group for the improvement of wood dust control, reduction of CO2 emissions and overall future proofing of the business using new Ecogate technology.
- Midland Mouldings Ltd for their collective efforts to overhaul and transform Health and Safety throughout the business.
BWF Apprentice of the Year Award – Sponsored by CITB
- Harrison Blackham – Houghtons of York. Harrison’s employer said “Harrison is an outstanding, committed, hardworking member of our team. He possesses a natural talent for his chosen craft and has excelled in his studies at York College and whilst at work”.
- Max Carter – Chichester College . Max’s tutor said “Max is a huge asset to the company and supports all of the wood occupations teams whether it be his duties as a wood machinist or improving the fabric of the workshop spaces through thorough organisation or bringing new ideas to the table for making best use of new and existing resources”.
- Will Garnett – Ventrolla. Will’s employer said “Will has consistently exceeded expectations in his apprenticeship at Ventrolla windows. He has a keen eye for detail and takes pride in his work, always striving to produce the highest quality products”.
BWF Heritage Project of the Year Award – Sponsored by Remmers
- Arden Windows Ltd for the supply and installation of bespoke heritage windows and doors on the historic Leybourne Chase Manor House and associated buildings.
- Corbel Conservation Ltd for the complex repair and consolidation project at Toneworks, an industrial textile mill in Wellington, Somerset.
- Mumford & Wood for the design and manufacture of bespoke windows and doors on the Grade A listed Steamhouse building.
BWF Innovation Award – Sponsored by Anker Stuy
- Handrail Creations for their innovative Timber Handrail System that allows for the innovative manufacture of timber handrails without the need for unwieldy metal core rails.
- Pith & Stem for their DropStop Smart Folding Desk which combines remarkable advancements in innovation, design and functionality to provide a stylish and discreet home workspace.
- RapidSpec for their door scheduling software ‘FlashQuote’ which has been designed to reduce the administrative burden of data input time and increase profitability for customers.
BWF Process and Resource Efficiency Award – Sponsored by Materials and Finishes Show 2024
- Blairs Windows & Doors for their significant investment and efforts to modernise, improve and future-proof the business’ processes and machinery.
- Central Joinery Group for the implementation of an extraction system that not only improves the reduction of wood dust but demonstrates significant environmental and sustainability benefits with the significant reduction of energy consumption and CO2
- Heron Joinery for their comprehensive lean implementation strategy that led to the transformation of the architrave area to ensure efficiency and reduce waste.
BWF Rising Star Award – Sponsored by ASSA ABLOY
- Chloe Bersey – Bond Timber. Chloe’s employer said “What sets Chloe apart is her outstanding ability to identify practical improvements and diligently work towards implementing them by suggesting to management with a keenness to help make them happen, showing commitment not only to her role, but the overall betterment of the company”.
- Frazer Hatch – James E Hatch & Son LLP. Frazer’s employer said “Since joining us in 2017, Frazer quickly set about focussing on producing exceptional quality products while remaining customer focussed. Both of these factors have contributed to the company’s growth within its market sector”.
- Richard Kowalski – Stairways Midlands Ltd. Richard employers said “Richard is well respected and liked by all. Wherever he sees a need, he will address it, whether that is through product innovation, creating training tools, streamlining processes or supporting colleagues – his passion for the industry is infectious”.
BWF Woodworking Project of the Year – Sponsored by Impra Wood Protection Limited
- A R Manley & Son Ltd for the intricate and sympathetic restoration of Stokesay Primary School’s Bell Tower.
- Mumford & Wood for the challenging design and installation of box sash and casement timber windows for residential and commercial buildings in the heart of London’s Piccadilly Circus.
- NBJ London Ltd for the complex design, refurbishment and redevelopment of the Inner Temple’s new library and educational facilities.
If you would like to purchase tickets to attend the BWF Awards 2023, please complete the BOOKING FORM and return it to the team at firstname.lastname@example.org